Friday, March 18, 2005

Bach

I've been out of it lately. I forgot to go to my chorus
rehearsal on Wednesday, and almost forgot to go to my
recitation. I'm not even going to imagine Bob's reaction if
I would have forgot to go. I almost forgot the chorus
rehearsal tonight, even though I've been reminding myself
all day. I don't know what's up.
The rehearsal was painful from 7 until 9:30. I didn't
want to be there, I felt terrible about missing the last
rehearsal, and I wanted to go home. We were even singing
music I don't like. Some Renaissance and Baroque crap.
Finally, at 9:30, after 2.5 hours of rehearsal, my back sore
from standing the whole time, and totally irritated, we sing
a 5 minute Bach cantata, Unser Leben Ist Ein Schatten.
"Our life is a shadow". It almost drove me to my knees it
was so beautiful. Simple, elegant, clever, expressive. I
have no idea why we sing anything else. It is just magical.
I recalled Beethoven's remark about Bach.
"Not Brook (Bach) but Ocean should have been his name". It
made my day, my week even, and gave me hope. Thank you,
Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment