Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mouse euthanasia

There was a mouse in my kitchen sink this morning.  I trapped it in a yogurt container.  I'm not sure what to do with it.  I looked up "humanely kill mice".  I found a surprising amount of literature.  Apparently freezing (I was going to just leave it outside in the trash) is not recommended.  Apparently it's very painful.  I think I'm going to try a small animal gas chamber.  Seems simple enough.  Kind of like a science experiment too.  I don't have the guts to grab it by the tail and bang it against a table, as most people suggest.

.....

Hmm.  Not sure I'd recommend that method.  I just put the yogurt container in a big ziploc bag with a glass of vinegar.  Then I undid the lid, and dropped about a tablespoon of baking soda into the vinegar. I was very surprised to see how much CO2 came out.  The gallon ziploc was full within about 5 seconds. It definitely did the trick, but perhaps it's a little elaborate.  I should have just put a mousetrap in the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment