Saturday, February 17, 2007

Kontroll



I was looking at French movies at the Carnegie Library the
other day, and picked up one that looked kind of interesting
in a nearby section. It turned out to be a Hungarian movie
called Kontroll. The cover is a pretty bad picture of a guy
running in front of a train, but it won a bunch of awards,
and the blurb on the back was by A.O. Scott, who called
it a "A tour de force. A gritty and stylish debut." So I
got it. It's directed by a young (33) director named Nimrod
Antal. He's got a movie in postproduction called Vacancy
with Kate Beckinsale and Luke Wilson.
The movie is wonderful. Funny, charming, peculiar,
and clever. It's about the guys who check to make sure
people have purchased tickets in the Budapest subway, and
the underground subculture.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting looking movie. I've never been much of a foreign movie fan, but I might just give it a go.

    Thanks for the post!
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Hi, I just surfed and found your blog. I am glad to hear that you liked Kontroll. I just received it from NetFlix and wasn't sure about it.

    ReplyDelete